1. Why set up MyOverseasVote?
- Over 1 million Malaysians are estimated to live and work outside Malaysia. Of this, roughly 40% work in Singapore and 20% in other Asian countries.
- There are 11 million registered voters in Malaysia, out of a potential electorate of 15 million.
- Under the Election (Registration of Electors) Regulations 2002, only members of the Armed Forces, public servants, students and their spouses living overseas are eligible to register and vote as absent voters.
- Our legal advice is that the discriminatory provisions are an abuse of the Election Commission’s discretion under the law and a violation of the grant of equality under the Federal Constitution.
2. Our aims
- To end discrimination against Malaysian citizens who are living or working outside Malaysia.
- To re-enfranchise Malaysian citizens overseas, and to re-engage them in charting the future course of Malaysia.
- To bring legal proceedings against the Election Commission challenging the discriminatory provisions in the 2002 Regulations.