The Election Commission (EC) should not be surprised that only 6,298 overseas Malaysians have registered to be postal voters when it has deliberately acted to restrict the number of eligible postal voters.

It has done this by:

1) not announcing the arrangements for overseas postal voting until after the Q4 2012 voter registration had ended. This ensured that those who had not yet registered could not get onto the electoral roll until May-June 2013, after GE13, and could therefore not register as postal voters for this election.

2) preventing Malaysians in Singapore, Brunei, Kalimantan and southern Thailand from registering. This excluded over 400,000 Malaysians living in Singapore, or approximately 40% of overseas Malaysians.

3) requiring overseas Malaysians to have returned to Malaysia for 30 days over the preceding 5 years.

4) closing the overseas postal voter registration before the date of the general election has been announced. This means that overseas Malaysians cannot plan whether to return to Malaysia or to vote by post.

Up to today, Malaysians who registered as overseas postal voters in January have still not received any reply telling them whether their applications have been approved or not. This is causing great confusion and uncertainty among overseas Malaysians, who need to plan their return trips to Malaysia if their applications are rejected.

MyOverseasVote calls upon the EC immediately to ensure that overseas Malaysians who have submitted their applications are told whether their applications have been successful or not, instead of complaining that the numbers are small.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to The EC Should Not Be Surprised by Low Overseas Voter Numbers When It Has Deliberately Restricted the Number of Eligible Voters

1. Dass says:

Same goes to me – as i dont want to register early as i am self dont know when will be the election, if i were to register and were to be at Malaysia during the election than i cannot vote, At least the EC gave 1 week after the Parliament dissolved, then we can decide where to vote – Postal or back home to vote

2. Owen says:

Is it too late to register already? oh gosh, I heard about the Parliament dissolve just last week and was thinking about to register over the weekend, seems to be too late for me now. I am really disappointed that I can’t participate in this historic moment when the BN is voted out.
    My Aussie friends said that it was compulsory for Australian to vote, regardless of your location and the regulation makes it so easy to register for voting by post…

3. Batang besar says:

Did you really think they will let ANTI Establishment votes? The only thing they will do for overseas Malaysias is to seize your assets and compound your passport. That they will surely do if they find out you have not been Loyal to UMNO.

4. Terrence says:

I had the same problem here: pending reply from EC regarding my postal vote application. I am quite certain that I will not be able to fly back from London to vote in Malaysia as I’m a student currently in my final year of Undergraduate study. I submitted my application in late February 2013, still awaiting reply. I chased them up 1 month later and all I got back was 1 line ‘pemohonan anda telah diterima dan sedang diproses’ without explaining whatsoever.

5. Ali says:

Any advise what we should do now? my application status still ‘inprogress’

6. Nat says:

Most important is the distrust of Malaysians on a fair election through overseas voting. There are nothing being said in how this process will be done, especially to avoid ballot tempering.

7. lene says:

i am somehow registered as absent voter after i had registered in SG more than a year ago. but now i have moved to Indonsesia as soon as i heard news about postal votes being allowed, i quickly registered and updated my new address as jakarta. now the website is changed and i am told i ams till registered as absent voter in singapore. it is disappointing as i may not get to vote again this time due to the lack of clarity and technicalities

8. BQF says:

Right on! I couldn’t decide if i should register postal voting because I don’t know where I’ll be at that time (a lot of business trips). I don’t wish the postal voting paper lying around at the consulate. It is also too expensive to fly back to Malaysia in a short notice.

A separated issue. I registered at the consulate early this year (Jan/Feb). When I checked my registration on SPR website last month, no record was found. I checked again few weeks ago, it said that it has been received and being processed. However, when I checked it again this morning, it said record not found. This is rather bizarre…..system problem? Anybody has such problem?

9. John says:

the lack of number also shows the lack of commitment and responsibility of the voters themselves. in this day and age of internet connectivity, can we still say that we were not aware? it is funny that we can get lots of news regarding what is happening in malaysia from our smartphones, laptops etc, yet we say that SPR did not inform us about the change in allowing overseas voters to vote. and what happened to all the fiery blogspots that fought previously for the rights to be given to overseas voters? why suddenly everyone is so quiet?

and it is a known fact that we can always register ourselves as absent voters even when we are abroad. the things is, a lot of people were so busy complaining, and so lazy to register themselves.

and for those who have registered themselves before, you can still send the 1b form before 12am (malaysia time) after parliament has been dissolve. still too lazy to do so?

and to think that some people continously check their status every now and then and still to lazy to call SPR to get an explanation.

and we call ourselves concerned citizens of malaysia? hahahaha….