FLASH: Postal Voting Form Now Available on EC Website

The EC has today uploaded the postal voting registration form and FAQ onto its website. Those who are eligible are Malaysian citizens of or above the age of 21 years who:

• Are registered voters;
  • Reside overseas (except in Singapore, Brunei, Southern Thailand and Kalimantan); and
  • Have returned to Malaysia for a total of 30 days since 28 April 2008.

You have between now and the dissolution of Parliament to register to vote by post by returning Form 1B to the EC by email, fax or post. Please note the following:

• If you register to vote by post, you cannot vote in person in Malaysia;
  • Your postal ballot will be sent to the nearest Malaysian embassy/high commission/consulate, which you have to specify on the form;
  • There will be a day fixed for you to collect and return your ballot so that the embassy/high commission/consulate can send the ballots back to Malaysia by diplomatic pouch.
  • If you choose to collect your ballot on another day, you will be responsible for sending it back to the returning officer in your constituency, but it must arrive before 5pm on polling day in order to be counted.
  • If you register to vote by post, please ensure that you collect your ballot in order to prevent someone else from using it to vote fraudulently.

Please make sure you read the FAQ on the EC website.

We will be issuing further information in due course about how to prevent postal voting fraud.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to FLASH: Postal Voting Form Now Available on EC Website

1. Daniel Chong says:

That is great news! Can somebody provide english translation of the website and also the related FAQ?

2. kwang says:

The 30 days rule probably disqualified a lot of overseas voter though. But I guess it makes sense.

3. kwang says:

That’s great news! Can somebody provide english translation of the form an related FAQ?

4. suthan says:

can i register to be voter now..i in overseases

5. Jared says:

Yes you can suthan! Download, fill and return Borang 1B if you meet all the stated requirements in the spr website link shown in this article.
    My main concern is the possibility of our postal votes being manipulated but I like the option whereby we are allowed to post of ballots in using a private courier service.
    Ideally, a form of advance counting should be implemented with election observers present at the consulates or high com.

6. BF says:

It doesn’t look like you can vote via post unless you have registered as a voter. 😦 If you are in Australia, you have to register as a voter at high commision of malaysia in Canberra in person. Then, you can vote via post. I wish they allow us to do that at the consulate as well. Do they generally have a deadline when you register as a voter or you can register anytime of the year? I was recently back to Malaysia for a short week but thought the deadline had past and no point of doing so if i can’t vote oversea. Now, I am a bit regret of not asking earlier.

• Sarawakian says:

No, you can register at the consulate. I did mine at the Melbourne consulate office.

7. AB says:

I was back a few months ago and registered to vote BUT I haven’t been back for more than 30 days in the past 5 years simply because my husband and I have been in grad school one after the other and couldn’t afford the trip. I understand the rule is there to demonstrate you’ve maintained connection with the homeland (despite this being the internet age), but it’s really unfortunate that it’s excluding citizens from voting.

8. geoffrey chin says:

Am i missing something here… How do i know for sure that my vote will not be tampered with? Folks please correct me if i am wrong, but i think it is better for us overseas people to not register and not do this postal vote unless we are absolutely sure that the process will be under control, transparent and tamper-proof. Otherwise this would be giving another bank of votes for potential abuse.

• LC says:

Geoffrey Chin, it is better to register as a postal voter and vote rather than boycotting the vote because we want to dilute the phantom votes. Please see MOV’s latest blog post, scroll down to ‘Minimising Fraud’:

“MyOverseasVote and Global Bersih believe that the risk that your postal ballot will be tampered with after it has been used is minimal given the safeguards already in place under the 2003 Postal Voting Regulations, and that any attempted mass tampering should be detectable by the parties’ counting agents.

We believe that the greater risk is that postal ballots will be issued improperly to phantom voters on the electoral roll or in the names of those known to be overseas who have not actually applied to vote by post, in order to dilute the votes of genuine overseas postal voters.

For this reason, we believe that the risk of fraud is greater if overseas voters do not vote (thereby allowing others to apply to vote in their name), and strongly recommend that overseas Malaysians apply for a postal vote, and collect and exercise their postal votes on the designated day, if they cannot afford to return to Malaysia to vote.”

Also, I’m sure Bersih is pushing SPR for assurances on the proper safeguards for postal voting, for eg recommending international observers at the various Malaysian missions.

• LC thanks. I think the reason why take-up of overseas postal voting has not been greater is because there is still a lot of doubt around how the postal vote will be safeguarded and not hijacked. I would humbly suggest that MOV devote time and attention to post content updating the community about the efforts being made in this respect, the status of the latest discussions with Bersih/EC. The more details the better. It is not enough to state that you believe the risk is minimal. You need to help the man in the street to understand the issues and the details clearly in order to get him fully on board.

9. John says:

They should postal voting for voters who is outside the state. Example:- Voters from Sabah working in KL, JB. Is it logic to ask them to go back paying RM1000++ for a air-ticket just to vote. It is is half of the voters monthly salary.

10. yann says:

Having to personally collect and return the ballot.to the high commission put me off from register. Too far to travel, not everyone settle at or close to capital city

11. Anon says:

If you want to vote for BN your overseas postal vote should be safe, but if you want to vote for someone else I suggest you return to Malaysia. I wrote to the SPR(Malaysian EC) in 2008 suggesting that to reduce complaints of cheating in postal votes what they should do was count all the postal votes FIRST, then announce the postal vote counts, BEFORE counting all the other votes. However they replied saying they already do that (when they definitely do not) and so I replied to make it clearer and they didn’t reply after that. Go figure.

12. Elsie says:

I have registered as a postal voter but am not sure if they have updated my status. A check on the SPR website makes no mention that I am now a postal voter. Is there any other way to find out?

13. DC Ng says:

Q:can i vote while my husband is a foreigner and stay overseas because of marriage. I do return to Malaysia more than 30 days and am a registered voter.

Do I miss something?? This is what I read:
    Peraturan-Peraturan Pilihan Raya (Pendaftaran Pemilih) 2002, mengkategorikan PTH seperti yang berikut:
    (a) Anggota tentera yang berkhid
    mat di luar negara dan pasangan;
    (b) Penjawat awam yang bertugas
    di perwakilan Malaysia di luar
    negara dan pasangan; dan
    (c) Pelajar yang sedang menuntut
    sepenuh masa di luar Negara
    dan pasangan.

anyone???

• If you are a Malaysian working overseas, you are not eligible to be an absent voter (Form A), you must apply to be a postal voter before the dissolution of Parliament using Form 1B. Your husband’s citizenship is not an issue.

• C P Chan says:

There are 2 forms at the SPR website Form A and Form 1B. As Overseas voters, do we complete only Form 1B or both?

• If you are already a registered voter, then Form 1B only. If you are not a registered voter, you need to fill in Form A first.

14. Wen says:

Hi, I’ve emailed my form and SPR has acknowledge receipt and its processing. How will I know if its confirmed that I’ve been registered for postal voting?

• You will be emailed once the returning officers have been appointed and approved the applications. None of the applications has been approved yet, but if you haven’t received a rejection that means your application should be ok.

15. thinesh says:

How do you actually fill up the pdf form 1B? It is not editable field and dont think I can save the data entered.
    Any advise?